Team Bison Tactical 2017
Team Bison Tactical’s first year of competition ! We have a Precision Rifle Team registered HERE, where you can find our combined team standings for the year. In 2017 Team Bison Tactical consisted of 4 shooters, Scott DeCapio (Team Captain), Kevin Umlauf, Lewie Smith and Fred Barton (Team Manager). The team was formed a bit late in the season (March) and dropped to 3 members in August when Lewie Smith left to continue as an Independent Competitor.
Scott DeCapio [Team Captain] PRS# 391, NRL# 159
Our team captain Scott DeCapio has been competing in Open Division Precision Rifle Series since 2014. Scott jumped ship from Air Rifle Field Target shooting to join the ranks of Long Range Precision rifle, racking up a series of impressive finishes to date. Some top finishes include a 1st place win PRS-Quiet Riot 2016, 3rd place PRS-NM Precision Rifle Championship 2017, 3rd place PRS-Battle of Breakneck 2016, 5th place PRS-Woody’s Match Regional Qualifier 2015, 6th place PRS-Tactical Supply 2016 and many 1st place rankings in a variety of club level matches in the region.
Scott lives in Nederland CO with his wife and young son. He used to be a sponsored rock climber, and has traveled extensively around the world. His wife produces some amazing ceramics, and if your ever invited over to their home, ask to see their wonderful flock of chickens!
Scott’s primary competition rifle is custom rifle from Patriot Valley Arms which uses a Bighorn TL3 left handed action. This rifle is chambered in 6mm Dasher using a 26″ Bartlein 5R barrel with a 1/8 twist. Scott uses a Huber 2 stage trigger, and the PVA Mad Scientist brake to help keep on target for fast follow-up shots. The scope that allows Scott to get so many hits is the Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25 with a TReMoR 3 reticle. Other equipment Scott claims seriously improves his scores are a Kestrel 5700 with Applied Ballistics, Traust Shooting Accessories Gamer bag, the Reasor Game Changer bag, his Feisol CT-3372 carbon fiber shooting tripod and his Thunder Beast Arms Ultra-9 suppressor for his training rifle.
Kevin Umlauf PRS# 1369, NRL# 159
Kevin’s career in competitive long range precision shooting started with two local matches, the first one the Precision Field Rifle match in Pueblo CO and the Sporting Rifle match in Raton NM in 2012. In his own words “after that I was hooked”, and he has been winning and scoring top 10 finishes ever since. He has since taken two 1st place finishes in the Sporting Rifle match, 1st in the Precision Field Rifle match, 3rd place in the Team Field Rifle match, 1st in the Competition-Dynamics monthly match, and just placed 12th place in the NM Precision Rifleman’s Championship in Albuquerque, NM.
Kevin and his wife live at an astounding 9800′ elevation in an off the grid home 3 miles from utility power with amazing views of the Rocky Mountains/Continental Divide. His passions include shooting (of course), furniture production (Mission, Arts & Crafts styles), hiking 13’ers and 14’ers with his wife and a new budding interest in forging knives (ask to see his early 1900’s Peter Wright anvil).
Kevin’s main competition rifle is a 6mm Dasher on an Bighorn TL3 action, chambered by MCR Jonathon Elrod, topped by a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25 with an H2CMR reticle. His barrel is a Bartlien Marksman contour using a APA Little Bastard for a brake. He also runs an AICS chassis and a 2 stage Mod 22 X-Treme trigger. He loves his Atlas bipod and also rocks a Orrin Burns sling.
Frederick Barton [Team Manager] PRS# 3306 NRL# 69
2017 is Fred’s first year of competitive shooting. Having shot the Extended Long Range Precision Rifle Series match in Capser WY in 2016, he got a taste for PRS and jumped in with both feet in 2017. In 2016 Fred and Scott teamed up for the first time to compete in the extremely arduous Competition-Dynamics Sniper Adventure Challenge. After a long year of training, they were successful, and took 3rd place. The SAC is not a difficult shooting event, but still incredibly daunting. It is an event where approximately 7% of the teams actually finish the event.
Fred enjoys hiking in the mountains, volunteering with Project Appleseed and working with new shooters. He spends most of his spare time running his shop, or trying to get out to the range to practice.
Fred shoots a Bighorn TL3 sitting in an MPA chassis with a Tubb T7 2-Stage trigger and topped with a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-20 Ultrashort with a TReMoR 3 reticle. The barrel is a Bartlein 5R with a 8 twist chambered in 6mm Dasher. He runs a TBAC Ultra-7 suppressor, Feisol Carbon Fiber Shooting Tripod, Coated PSR Atlas Bipod and Traust Gamer bag.
2017 Team Bison Tactical Sponsors
Individual Team member Sponsors
|Scott DeCapio||Kevin Umlauf|
2017 Team Match Schedule and Results
NRL = National Rifle League
PRS = Precision Rifle Series
RMPRL = Rocky Mountain Precision Rifle League
( #X / XXX ) = # of finish / number of competitors
- APR 08 PRS NM Precision Riflemans Championship Albuquerque, NM (#3/74)
- MAY 13 Pikes Peak Precision Rifle match Colorado Springs, CO (#3/31)
- JUN 04 Sporting Rifle Match Raton, NM (#1/65)
- JUN 10 NRL Dog Valley Nephi, UT (#7/120)
- JUN 16 PRS Extended Long Range match Casper, WY (#24/98)
- JUN 24 FURY PRS Club match Price, UT (#10/70)
- JUL 02 Sporting Rifle Match Raton, NM (#9/35)
- JUL 08 Mill Creek Mountain Money Match (#1/20)
- JUL 15 PRS Heatstroke Open Camargo OK (#4/161)
- JUL 21 NRL High Country Precision, Craig, CO (#10/115)
- AUG 04 PRS Mill Creek Ranch, Sagauch, CO (#4/111)
- AUG 25 Competition Dynamics Team Challenge (#3/46)
- DEC 8 PRS Finale Camargo, OK (#49/133)
- DEC 16 Hoser’s Steel 300 Yard Precision match (#1/18 – morning) (#9/18 – afternoon)
- JAN 19 NRL Finale Las Vegas NV (#8/96)
- APR 06 Sporting Rifles Match Raton, NM (#3/24)
- APR 08 PRS NM Precision Riflemans Championship Albuquerque, NM (#12/74)
- MAY 13 Pikes Peak Precision Rifle match Colorado Springs, CO (#11/31)
- MAY 19 PRS Battle of Breakneck Broadwater, NE (#41/116)
- JUN 04 Sporting Rifle Match Raton, NM (#1/65)
- JUN 16 PRS Extended Long Range match Casper, WY (#78/98)
- JUL 02 Sporting Rifle Match Raton, NM (#10/35)
- JUL 21 NRL High Country Precision, Craig CO (#38/115)
- AUG 04 PRS Mill Creek Ranch Sagauch, CO (#63/111)
- AUG 19 Sporting Rifle Team Match Raton, NM (#6/44)
- SEP 02 Sporting Rifle Match Raton, NM (#1/60) [Highest score for the new course]
- SEP 30 NRL Butch’s New Mexico Long Range match Albuquerque, NM (#20/70)
- OCT 19 Competition-Dynamics Team Safari Logan, NM (#20/84)
- DEC 16 Hoser’s Steel 300 Yard Precision match (#4/18 – morning) (#1/18 – afternoon)
- APR 06 Sporting Rifles Match Raton, NM (#21/24)
- APR 08 PRS NM Precision Riflemans Championship Albuquerque, NM (#65/74)
- MAY 13 Pikes Peak Precision Rifle match Colorado Springs, CO (#23/31)
- MAY 19 PRS Battle of Breakneck Broadwater, NE (#54/116)
- JUN 16 PRS Extended Long Range match Casper, WY (#32/98)
- JUL 02 Sporting Rifle Match Raton, NM (#32/35)
- JUL 14 PRS Heatstroke Open Camargo, OK (#83/161)
- JUL 21 NRL High Country Precision, Craig CO (#21/115)
- AUG 04 PRS Mill Creek Ranch Sagauch, CO (#64/111)
- AUG 23 Competition-Dynamics Burris Team Challenge Douglas, WY (#14/46)
- SEP 08 Competition-Dynamics Sniper Adventure Challenge Douglas, WY (#5/84)
- SEP 30 NRL Butch’s New Mexico Long Range match Albuquerque, NM (#56/70)
- DEC 09 PRS Team Black Flag Club match (#8/36)
- DEC 16 Hoser’s Steel 300 Yard Precision match (#2/18 – morning) (#7/18 – afternoon)
- JAN 19 NRL Finale Las Vegas NV (#87/96)