Professional and Reliable firearm and NFA Transfers handled by Bison Tactical
Bison Tactical has a Type 07 manufacturing Federal Firearms License (FFL)
Bison Tactical has a Type 72 Special Operations Tax (SOT)
We charge $60 for each non-NFA item transfer which covers most pistols, rifles and shotguns. The Colorado background check fee is included.
Face to Face transfers?
The transfer can be initiated from another FFL holder or an individual.
The transfer can occur via the mail, or in person (face to face). Since 2013 Colorado requires all transfers outside of limited exclusions have a background check on the person receiving the firearm (HOUSE BILL 13-1229). Effectively this means finding a Federally Licensed dealer who is willing to perform a transfer since FFL’s have access to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation Insta-Check system.
General requirements for Receiving a firearm
To receive a firearm in Colorado you must
- Form 4473 — complete a Federal Form 4473 which is kept indefinitely in Bison Tactical’s records. We complete these forms in the store with you, and we use an electronic system to make the process fast and simple.
- Identification — provide proof of identification – this must include the Name, Date of Birth, a photograph, be government issued and currently valid. For example a Drivers License, State ID Card, Passport or Military ID.
- Residency — proof of current residency is required to receive a firearm. Documents must be Government issued, display the current address and currently be valid. Only some documents are valid for proving residency. Some examples are: Drivers License, Concealed Handgun Permit, PCS Orders to Colorado duty station, Vehicle registration, House Deed, Tax bill, Colorado Resident Hunting or Fishing license or Letter from Registrar advising of current enrollment in a state College (if a Student).
- Background Check — pass a Colorado Bureau of Investigation Instant Background check which includes a background check of Colorado and a search of the National Insta-Check System (NICS)
Denial of Background Check
If you purchase a firearm from us and we perform the background check in our store, and you fail to pass the background check you have 2 options:
1. You can appeal the decision from CBI [ read more here ]. If you request, we can print out the appeal packet from CBI which will facilitate your appeal of the denial.
2. You can request a partial refund of the purchase price. We will refund your purchase price minus any non-refundable fees and minus a $60 restocking fee.
If you purchase a firearm from us to be transferred to another FFL, then subsequently are unable to take possession from that FFL you must contact us for a RMA number. Generally firearms already transferred are not returnable, but we may make an exception. If we make an exception you must pay for the cost of shipping and a $60 restocking fee.
There are some special requirements at both the Federal and State level for receiving a pistol.
Age and Residency
To receive a pistol, Colorado State Law requires the receiver to be 21 years of age or higher, and be a current resident of Colorado.
Federal Law requires that multiple handgun purchases be reported to local law enforcement and to the ATF on Form 3310.4. “The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees (FFLs) to report multiple sales or other dispositions of handguns to the same purchaser [18 U.S.C. § 923(g)(3)]. The sale or disposition of two or more handguns must be reported if they occur at the same time, or within five consecutive business days of each other.”
Long guns, also known as rifles may be received in Colorado if the receiver is over 18 years of age. Unlike a handgun, long guns do not require the receiver to be a Colorado resident.
Bison Tactical is a Federally licensed for Firearms, Silencers, Short Barreled Rifles (SBR), Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS) and Automatic weapons.
Bison Tactical has a Type 07 FFL (Federal Firearms License) and Type 72 SOT (Special Operations Tax). Because of this Bison Tactical is able to provide a full range of transfer services covering standard firearms like pistols, rifles and shotguns, as well as specialty items like machine guns, silencers and other items.
Unlike other companies in the area, we will perform face to face transfers, as well as handle transfers from other dealers into the State of Colorado.
The cost for a NFA item transfer including silencers or suppressors is $100 per item.
The easiest way to purchase an NFA item to to buy one directly from Bison Tactical.
If you purchase from a Dealer or Manufacturer they will transfer the NFA item you purchased to Bison Tactical by doing a Form 3 transfer.
Bison Tactical will then assist you in filing the ATF Form 4 which is the form to transfer from a Dealer/Manufacturer to an individual, Trust or corporation.
The Form 4 processing time can take anywhere from 3 months to 12 months, and include a FBI background check on the recipient, any current members of the Trust, or significant owners of the corporation.
Silencer Shop Kiosk
The Form 4 application requires payment to the ATF of $200 for a tax stamp, and also requires submission of the form in duplicate. This also requires 2 copies of fingerprint cards for each person applying, and 2 passport photos for each applicant.
Bison Tactical uses a Silencer Shop Kiosk to make this process fast, easy and convenient.
When using the Silencer Shop Kiosk, customers sign up for an account at Silencer Shop and purchase the $200 tax stamp directly from Silencer Shop. The fingerprinting can be done at any Silencer Shop kiosk around the USA so if your trust members live in different cities, they can visit a local Kiosk to scan their fingerprints locally.
Using the Silencer Shop kiosk costs Bison Tactical $25, and we pass that fee along to our customers.
We can certainly perform the Form 4 paperwork manually, but the convenience of the kiosk is difficult to beat.